Polyrhythmic Ostinatos - part 1
Drum Lesson by Alain Rieder
The same ones, played in a 3-bar sequence.
The 3-bar ostinato, applied to other bass-drum patterns
The three-bar ostinato can also be viewed as being in 3/4 or 6/4 and played over 4/4:
16-bar Groove Exercise
This example is an application of this concept, to the first exercise of my Time Manipulation Drum Book.
Each pattern is played twice, but if you listen to the sound file, the hi-hat plays the previous shifting accents instead of the unaccented eighth-notes that are written.
This is Exercise 1 of my Time Manipulation Drum Book (page 25), played with Polyrhythmic Ostinato 1 (page 127). In this video example, I played each pattern 4 times, before moving on to the next.
- For more suggestions on how to work on this concept, see Section 7 of my Time Manipulation Drum Book. Look at examples 100–113, on pages 123–126.
- Example 113 on page 126 is actually the complete written version of what's played here on the previous audio track as well as on the next video.
Album: Double Fantasy
Drummer: Andy Newmark
Andy Newmark is a legendary drummer, and he played this shifting hi-hat part in a very creative and tasty manner.
There are two versions of this song, the first one was sung by Yoko Ono and there is also one which was sung by John Lennon.
Musical examples are granted for your personal use only.
© 1998 Alain Rieder - all rights reserved
video © 2019 Alain Rieder - all rights reserved
Fair use: short excerpt of John Lennon's song for educational purpose
Free economic shipping
or 50% discount on standard delivery
Use code ONESHIP | Expires July 25 at 23:59
In the stores: Germany, Nederland, Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland, Fr. Canada.
Buy the English version
Let's keep in touch!
- default_titleDownload excerpts from Time Manipulation Drum Book in pdf & mp3 format, after you confirm your subscription by email.
- default_titleYou'll be informed about new blog posts, new exercises, promos and future books!
- default_titleCheck your spam folder if you don't get any reply.
- Show More